"World meeting of experts on problems of preservation of languages and their development in cyberspace"
5 – 8 July, 2015, the city of Khanty-Mansiysk
The Seventh international IT forum in Khanty-Mansiysk on 5 - 8 July 2015 will include the largest event – the world meeting of experts on problems of preservation of languages and their development in cyberspace. The world meeting is added to the calendar of the most important UNESCO's activities.
The main goals of the world summit:
- the development and improvement of the policy of UNESCO in the sphere of preservation of cultural diversity, preservation of languages, the development of their presence in cyberspace and use in electronic information environment.
- the development and promotion of the results of major international events previously organized by the Russia in this sphere in the framework of cooperation with UNESCO.
In 2014 two events had great success - the Third international conference "Linguistic and cultural diversity in cyberspace" Yakutsk and World meeting of experts on improving access to multilingual cyberspace, which was organized in the Headquarters of UNESCO in Paris by the Government of the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous district in collaboration with UNESCO, the permanent mission of Russia to UNESCO and the Russian Committee of UNESCO Program "Information for all".
The world of expert meetings in Khanty-Mansiysk in 2015 is a contribution of the Russian Federation in the implementation of the intergovernmental program of UNESCO "Information for all" and carried out in accordance with the Communiqué signed by UNESCO General Director - Irina Bokova and the Governor of the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug –Ugra Natalia Komarova on the results of the Days of Ugra in the headquarters of UNESCO in Paris.
The organizers of the summit:
The government of the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug – Ugra;
Russian Committee of UNESCO Program "Information for all" supported by the UNESCO Commission of the Russian Federation for UNESCO;
World network for linguistic diversity, MAAYA.
It is expected that the event will be attended by representatives of 35 countries: the largest foreign and Russian scientists, managers, representatives and experts of leading international governmental and non-governmental organizations, heads and specialists of institutions and authorities in the field of education, science, culture, information and communication, including globally recognized ethnolinguistic and socio-linguists.
The participation in the world of the expert meeting was confirmed by representatives of the following foreign countries - Azerbaijan, Argentina, Belarus, Brazil, Hungary, Grenada, Georgia, Dominican Republic, Israel, India, Spain, Italy, Canada, Kyrgyzstan, China, Colombia, Latvia, Mali, Mozambique, Moldova, Netherlands, Senegal, Sudan, USA, Thailand, France, Central African Republic, Switzerland, South Africa, Japan and others.
Understanding that linguistic diversity should be preserved, maintained and developed comes to an increasing number of people. The interest in this topic is increasing worldwide. And not only because small languages are weakened and more marginalized, but also because major languages are weakened and marginalized, which created a great world literature and science – French, German, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, Italian. The scope of their use is reduced in science and technology, in politics, in business communication and even in education.
According to various estimates, presently there are about 7 000 languages. Thus:
- 97% of the world population speaks 3% of the world's languages.
- 3% of the population - the remaining 97% of the world's languages.
- only a few hundred languages play important role in education and in the public sector.
- there are about 400 languages out of seven thousand used in Internet, i.e. about 6 percent.
During mankind history some languages appeared and the others became extinct. But recently the dying out of languages has increased in alarming dimensions. Civilization kills the diversity that has always been the Foundation of its development. A significant number of languages are under threat of extinction. According to some estimates, by the end of the twenty-first century about 90% of languages may disappear, they will be replaced by one of the dominant languages.
These facts and projections clearly indicate that in order to preserve the linguistic diversity in each country and throughout the world to preserve the diversity of cultures, it is necessary to take serious measures within each country and at the international level.
Research suggests that globalization, urbanization, intensive use of information technologies accelerate the extinction of languages. But, they also say, that the same information technologies can and should be used in order to slow down the disappearance of minority languages and even to revive them.