The 35th Session of the General Conference of UNESCO identified the following biennial priorities of UNESCO in the field of culture for 2010—2011:
- safeguarding and preservation of tangible and intangible heritage and its management;
- promoting diversity of cultural expressions and cultural dialogue with a view to fostering a culture of peace.
The main activities in the field of culture are:
- safeguarding and preservation of immovable cultural and natural values, in particular through the effective implementation of the Convention on the Protection of World Heritage (1972);
- preservation of living heritage, particularly through the promotion and implementation of the Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage (2003);
- enhancing protection of cultural sites and combating illicit trafficking, particularly, through the promotion and implementation of the conventions of 1979 and 2001, as well the development of museums;
- protecting and promoting the diversity of cultural expressions through the implementation of the 2005 Convention and the development of cultural industries and creative work;
- integration of intercultural dialogue and cultural diversity in national policies.