Activities of the UNESCO Chair of the Kemerovo State University
for sustainable development
Programs of the UNESCO chairs on education for sustainable development include objectives of socio-economic development and environmental ecology for sustainable development, training of specialists of a new type meeting modern challenges to work against the crisis, elaboration and implementation of humanitarian and information and communication technologies (ICT) for sustainable development of the network wide cooperation.
During the «perestroika» period in the early 1990's relations between the mass media, power structures and population were broken. The coal-mining Kuzbass didn’t evade the problems. The region population was not informed of the drama of miners’ strikes in Anzhero-Sudzhensk, Belovo and other mining towns, since the «fourth» estate resided in a new spontaneous business. In that period the Kemerovo State University (KemSU) came forward with the initiative to build an information network connecting all the Kuzbass cities with the base points of presence in educational institutions. The initiative was endorsed by the UNESCO (Aram Akopov) and the Commission of the Russian Federation for UNESCO. As a result in 1998 the 17-th in Russia UNESCO Chair on New Information Technologies in Education and Science was founded at the Center of New Information Technologies of the KemSU (CNIT KemSU). The Chair was established as a center of academic mobility in the field of development and maintenance of information technologies and of training and retraining of specialists in different lines with the use of information technologies in scientific, educational and industrial activities.
We consider activities of our Chair as a response to modern challenges and the social development paradigm shift, what is absolutely corresponds to the priority orientations of sustainable development. And this, in its turn, has led to understanding of the fact, that large-scale implementation and effective use of information technologies for problems of education, production, socioeconomic sphere is impossible without the modern approach to the socially developing processes and training of teachers on all subjects, accordingly the status of a pedagogue and a teacher should be regarded anew.
The principal directions of the Chair’s activity are: training and retraining of IT specialists up to world standards with the wide use of the modern Russian and foreign literature, including scientific research results from the UNESCO; scientific research works on the problems within the scope of the Chair, including those on the basis of contracts and agreements with the UNESCO Secretariat, its regional branches, with concerned international UNESCO chairs abroad. In 2009, in the frames of the program «Information for All», the Physical and the Mathematical Faculties of the KemSU opened an educational course for the additional qualification «Developer of Profession-Oriented Computer Technologies», the entire academic load on which is carried by workers of the UNESCO Chair on NIT and involved specialists. This educational program includes such topical courses, as Information Security, Modern Networking Technologies, Software Development and Standardization, etc. Over 25 students obtained the state-recognized Diplomas of additional qualification in 2012.
Implementation of information and communication technologies has become an important instrument of the modern educational progress. On account of orientation of the Chair and for the purpose of sustainable development, groups of lecturers on application of ICT in education are formed at different faculties of different Kuzbass institutions of higher education. The ICT development also meets the mainframe priorities of the UNESCO in approaching to the Knowledge Society: Education for All, Lifelong Learning, Learning Everywhere. Application of satellite telecommunications, multimedia, Internet, electronic libraries improves the learning process, smoothes over the farness of inaccessible regions of the country from world educational and scientific centers. Remote online communication between lecturers and audiences of pupils and students, overcoming of social deprivation of disabled people, professional reorientation are becoming more and more vital phenomena.
For sustainable development the UNESCO Chair on NIT at the KemSU has the experience of its successful scientific interaction with the UNESCO Chair opened by O. Zenkevich and currently headed by Professor E. Onate (Barcelona): since 2007 it has been localising into Russian the pre- and postprocessors and solvers of the Gid product (www.gidhome.com) developed at the CIMNE scientific center.
One of important aspects of education for sustainable development is undoubtedly involvement of young people in science and popularization of scientific research. For the period of its functioning the UNESCO Chair on NIT has organized and held 10 International and All-Russian scientific conferences: «Information Resources of the Kuzbass», «New Information Technologies in University Education», «High-Speed Hydrodynamics and Numerical Simulation». From 23 till 30 June 2013 the KemSU will be holding the next international scientific conference «Information-Computing Technologies and Mathematical Simulation».
In the course of the Chair’s works the following scientific and educational projects have been implemented:
- Connection of schools in subjects of the Russian Federation to Internet (in the frames of the Federal Target Program «Development of the Unified Educational Information Environment for 2001–2005»).
- Building of an interregional segment of the Educational Information Environment for Professional and General Education on the basis of a combined infrastructure of ground borne and satellite telecommunications (2005).
- Creation of a model information-computer portal for arrangement of the educational and scientific activities of the institution of higher education (2006).
- Development of computing technologies for running of resource-intensive numerical experiments on ensemble machines (2006).
- Creation of the regional register of information resources, databases for scientific and technical information, educational information, and electronic means of teaching at institutions of elementary, secondary, higher and additional professional education (2007).
- Creation of the system of methodological provision of educational institutions with learning resources for training of specialists in high-performance distributed computing (2008).
- Innovational program «University Cluster». Site of the program – www.uniclaster.ru (2008-2009).
- «Creation of the system of organization-structural, methodical and technological provision for development, storage and use of electronic learning resources and distance education» (2009-2011).
- Participation of the Chair as a co-contractor in the Project of the RF Presidential Committee on Modernization and Technological Development of Economy of Russia «Creation of the system of training of highly-qualified personnel in the field of supercomputer technologies and the application-dependent software» (2011-2012).
For the period of its functioning the UNESCO Chair on NIT has trained 145 specialists at the Mathematical Faculty of the KemSU. In 2011 and 2012 the Chair was a base for the qualification courses on supercomputer computations – Use of the Intel MKL Library, provided for KemSU students and lecturers by specialists from the Intel.
More detailed information of the Chair’s activities can be obtained from the website: http://unesco.kemsu.ru.
- Commission of the Russian Federation for UNESCO. Contribution of the UNESCO Chairs to Sustainable Development. – Bulletin №13, 2010.
- Commission of the Russian Federation for UNESCO. – Bulletin №11, 2010.
- Kolin K.K. Fundamental Principles of Informatics: Social Informatics. Educational book. – Moscow: Delovaya Kniga, 2000. – 350 pp.